So we rebuilt the wall...for the people worked
with all their heart.
The History of College
Street Baptist Church
1909 - 1970
(An account of our history
taken from The Good Hand of God, An Account of the Burning of
College Street Baptist Church, by Charles F. Cobb, 1970.)
The Second Baptist Church
The history of College
Street Baptist Church begins on Sunday, November 7, 1909. On that
evening an interested group of people under the leadership of Dr. J. M.
Bailey, Reverends L. M. Lyda, J. B. Trammell, J. A. Bond, R. W. Grubbs,
and Deacon G. G. Deal organized a Baptist church. It was constituted with
25 members and named the Second Baptist Church of Walhalla.
At first, meetings were
held monthly. This gave way to semi-monthly services. These meetings were
held in a building located at the corner of Wesley and Spring Streets,
owned by the mill company.
Several attempts were made
by this group to join with the Knitting Mill church (now Southside).
Unable to join this group the people went to work and built their church
on Lucas Street at a cost of $1,060.00. This building was damaged by a
windstorm on July 3, 1917. The people restored it immediately.
In 1922 the people of the
Second Baptist enlarged their church building on Lucas Street. During much
of the 1920's Second Baptist and Jordania Baptist (now Utica) of Seneca,
SC comprised a field for one pastor.
A Record Attendance of 305
In 1949 the church on Lucas
Street was remodeled. This was done at a cost of $4,111.21. On November 5,
1949 membership in the church stood at 230.
Another program of building
was begun in 1950 under the leadership of Pastor Lewis Gibson. New Sunday
School rooms were added to the existing building. When the building was
occupied on June 4, 1950 there were 281 people present for Sunday School.
On September 3, 1950 a record attendance of 305 in Sunday School was
Under the leadership of
Pastor Doug Baker the church made progress. In 1952 the rotating deacon
system was introduced into the program of the church. A new heating system
was installed in the church in 1953 at a cost of $1,500.00. A new organ
was purchased. With the aid of Rev. B. B. Jerrigan, the Sunday School was departmentalized
in 1953. In June 1954, the Vacation Bible School has an enrollment of 200
with an average attendance of 170.
A New Parsonage
February 12, 1956 marked
the beginning of another phase of enlargement. A new parsonage was built
at 516 S. Spring Street. This replaced the parsonage on Lucas Street.
Rev. N. W. Finley was
called to the pastorate of Second Baptist in May, 1957. He was the first
pastor to occupy the new parsonage on Spring Street. His pastorate was to
the longest consecutive pastorate in the life of the church to this date.
The Building of a New
Church... College Street Baptist Church
Under the leadership of
Pastor Finley the church progressed. A search was begun for an appropriate
site for a new church building. On November 19, 1963, the property on
which the church now stands was purchased for $11,700.00. On July 21, 1964
the church voted to build a new church building to cost $100,000.00. Bonds
were to be sold to finance this venture. During this time the lot joining
the old church on Lucas Street was sold for $4,000. An extra lot joining
the parsonage was sold for $1,000.
Ground Breaking for the new
church was held in December, 1964. When construction was completed the
church had spent a total of $115,547.98. Dedication and Homecoming were
held on July 11, 1965. In October, 1965 the name of the church was changed
from Second Baptist to College Street.
On Sunday, May 12, 1968 the
church was called into conference for the purpose of electing a pastor.
The Rev. Charles F. Cobb was given a unanimous call. His ministry on the
field began June 10, 1968.
The Church Progressed.
After the fall revival in October, 1968, 24 people were baptized. Rev. E.
B. Lowery and Mr. Harold Redmon were the visiting evangelistic team. In
November, 1968, a Stewardship Campaign was conducted. Mr. Clyde McCall was
General Chairman. At the conclusion of the campaign 218 people had
returned dedication cards and 173 had pledged to tithe. The offerings more
December 2, 1968 was a sad
day for us. In the early morning hours fire completely destroyed our
building. Damage was estimated to be more than $150,000.00. Only a few
pieces of equipment were saved. Fortunately, wise Trustees and Deacons had
insured the building and the church received $153,000 in insurance money.
Under the leadership of the
deacons, Roy D. Harden, chairman, the people were rallied. A prayer
meeting was held at the parsonage on Monday evening, December 2.
Activities on the church were moved to South Pine Street School. An office
was opened in a house provided by Chicopee Manufacturing Company at 7
South John Street. The work would continue. We were broken in heart but
not in spirit. God was blessing. Committees were appointed to rebuild the
church. the building was place under contract to W & N Construction
Company, Taylors, SC. Walker and Farmer Architects of Greenville, SC drew
the plans. Construction of the building began in December, 1969. The
education building contains 12,600 square feet with a seating capacity of
about 500 people.
The new building was used
first for training purposes on Sunday, January 11, 1970. On Sunday,
January 18, 1970 there were 252 people in Sunday school and 113 present
for Training Union. Church membership on that day stood at 413.
Additional Notes from the
Account by Rev. Charles F. Cobb
It is difficult to remember
all the things that were happening about this time. Things tend to run
together. On Sunday, January 18, 1970 we met in the new building for the
first time. We has 250 plus people for Bible Study and the Sanctuary was
filled for Worship. Of course we sat in metal folding chairs. But God was present
and we had a glorious time together. It was good to be back home in our
new church building.
It was decided that the
Dedication of the new building would be postponed until all the
furnishings were completely installed. In a few weeks this was taken care
of and Dedication Services were announced for Sunday, February 8, 1970.
The Rev. Sam Pittman, first Associational Missionary in Beaverdam
Association, was asked to preach the Dedicatory Sermon.
After the Dedicatory Sermon
the congregation went outside and joined together in the setting of the
corner plates. A box was placed behind the corner plates which contained
mementoes of the day and events.
Actually, instead of having
just a Dedication Service, a week of Dedication Services were held. The
Deacons and people of College Street had been warmly blessed by the entire
community during the months we had been without our church building.
Therefore, in an attempt to say "thank you" to the people of our
community, they were invited to share in the joy of our new building.
Various pastors form several denominations were asked to come and share in
the preaching of God's Word from the pulpit of College Street Church
during the week of dedication services. It was a week that would live long
in the memories of the people of Walhalla.
to come... Look for more from The Good Hand of God, An Account of the
Burning of College Street Baptist Church, by Charles F. Cobb.)
Return to Our History Home Page
Street Baptist Church
South College Street
P.O. Box 340
Walhalla, SC 29691
Office (864) 638-2986
Fax (864) 638-2980